Monday, October 10, 2016

Greasy Strangler, Phantasm Ravager, and a Top Ten of Carpenter list.

The Greasy Strangler:

I won’t be the same person I was the moment before I sat down to watch “the Greasy Strangler”- there are some incidents that can irrevocably change the nature and soul of a man. I count this film among those moments and incidents. And, God help me; I cannot say that this is a “bad” film- because it neither wasted my time nor did it lose my attention. So I cannot warn you to stay away- in fact, I’m probably going to do the opposite. I’m probably going to wind up encouraging you, dear faceless reader, to bear witness and experience precisely what it is that has left such an indelible mark upon my immortal soul. What I can do is give you my reaction to the film- and to do that, we have to tell a little story.

Two of my theatre friends decided that we should all check out this bugnuts film at our local Art House Theater- It looked something like an early John  Waters meets Aqua Teen Hunger Force type of film to me, and the trailer somehow caught the attention of both my friends and so the plan was set. We would land in the Osio and we would watch this thing- whatever this thing wound up being- and we would share in the experience. And then we sat there through the credits and we stared at the screen until one of us eventually broke the silence; “What the fuck was that?” my friend Koly asked, an odd smile on her face. Ralph and I fumbled in our own heads and we sought meaning to everything we had just witnessed- I am still sort of stumbling around in my own head, trying to figure it all out.

We laughed throughout the film and we were caught up in the experience. None of us could declare this was a bad movie. None of us could really say it was great. None of us could really lay claim to understanding it, either. And when a fourth friend sent a text to ask how it was, Ralph could only reply with “I don’t know”. And we talked about the film- we tried to figure this out. We were three reasonably intelligent people- three artists who regularly read and decipher scripts for translation to the stage. We’re also not entirely certain we did miss the point of the film. The truth is that we just don’t know for certain. Ralph’s best guess was “The duality of man”- don’t ask me because I’m stuck on the greasy melon. I haven’t seen either friend since we parted ways and I worry for the wellness of their minds at this moment but I must save myself. May divine spirits have mercy on our souls.

This movie, however, offered no such mercy. The creators of “The Greasy Strangler” give us a simple story about a father and son competing for the affection of a woman. Throughout their town, people are being killed by a mysterious serial killer covered in Kitchen Grease. Hilarity ensues? I think? Eye-balls pop, body parts are cut off, some parts are eaten, there’s naked genitalia all over the screen, and there’s grease. There is a lot of grease. And the film is an absurdist nightmare with ugly, awful, and disgusting moments all caught on video and burned indelibly into my cornea. There are sounds that echo in my ear that I can’t stop remembering. And someone says “I am the Tarzan of a cum jungle.” And that’s what we’re dealing with, here.

7 and a must see for fans of bizarre cinema.


Phantasm: Ravager

The ball is back!

This here is the fifth and absolutely final film in the Phantasm franchise and brings back almost all the star players for a curtain call. With the passing of Angus Scrimm (The Tall Man villain of the film) earlier this year, the film is almost over shadowed with a sense of loss and regret. And the films thematic explorations reflect this tone as we find Reggie stumbling back out of the desert where he’s been lost the past several years. He’s been fighting the Tall Man, tracking his friend Mike through dimensional portals, and then we flash to where Reggie has spent the past several months or years while suffering through dementia. Mike is at his side and visiting, reminiscing, and also quite interested in hearing about this “Tall Man” story. And then we flash through other stories, other worlds, where Reggie is at once a hero, a victim, a savior, and a partner- and we continue to explore the first film’s themes of loss and death. Or is it all just a dream? Or it is all really happening?

A landmark franchise, Phantasm has never had the popularity of a Slasher film or the traditional monster movies but it has maintained a core audience through every film in the series. Don Coscarelli allowed his original story to be changed a little and continued through the eyes of a new director, David Hartman. The two co-wrote the script and we get a lot of Coscarelli’s visual style throughout with some new tricks along the way. And through it all, Phantasm remains the mystery it was always meant to be- a film that the audience makes rather than a film that tells them what they should be thinking. Because this all could be a dream. This all could really be happening. Reggie could be dying in a hospital bed or he could be writing a song for some pretty young lady. The film is open to interpretation and I’ve always enjoyed that about the film.

The movie answered every lingering question I ever had about the franchise to my satisfaction. It hit all the right emotional notes and it gave us a couple of endings to the journey of Reggie, Mike, and Jody. I highly recommend the film for Phans of the original, but be warned that some deep things are going to be explore here and it’s good idea to walk in with an open mind.

7.5 out of 10.

CARPENTER WEEK OVERVIEW:

So, I started my 31 Days of Horror and decided to watch a couple of John Carpenter films. This little piece will not be a review of each Carpenter film I saw but rather a ranked listing of my top ten John Carpenter films. So, if you enjoy lists and want to see where YOUR favorite Carpenter film falls then give it a look through.

10. Vampires: James Woods as a foul-mouthed crusader hunting vampires in the desert. An underrated gem from the Carpenter legacy and probably one of the last “fun” projects that Carpenter had a chance to work on. It feels more Carpenter-esque than his later full length films.

9. Christine – based on the novel by Stephen King, a car possesses a teen and they form a dangerous bond of obsession.

8. They Live: Aliens have infiltrated and taken over society, enslaving mankind.

7. In The Mouth of Madness: A detective is sent to track down a reclusive writer whose works may be a doorway to another dimension.

6. The Fog: Vengeful ghosts return to wreak vengeance on a small coastal town.

5. Prince of Darkness: An ancient evil wakes up and it's up to a team of scientists and a priest to unlock the mysteries of the anti-god before destruction is set loose upon the world.

4. Big Trouble in Little China: A truck driver dives into the dangerous world of Far East mysticism and helps an old friend find his kidnapped fiancee.

3. Escape from New York: A battered veteran criminal has to rescue the President from the prison island of New York City.

2. The Thing-An alien attempts to devour and replicate an Antarctic Research team.

1. Halloween-A masked killer goes on a murder spree, terrorizing a group of teen age babysitters.

No comments:

Post a Comment