Thursday, June 25, 2015

Mirth-o-matics @ Paper Wing Theatre Fremont



I have been remiss, dear faceless reader. I have been remiss in my duties as a chronicler of all I survey and a commentator in all I watch as well as a rant-machine on all I absorb. And for that, my Dear Faceless Reader, I must apologize.

Who are the Mirth-O-Matics? That’s a little easy and a little hard to explain- because I could tell you that they’re an improve comedy group and leave it at that. But if you don’t know what “Improv Comedy” is you may just scratch your head in confusion and try to smile in feigned understanding. So let me try to school you, faceless reader: Have you ever watched an episode of “Whose Line is it?” with Drew Carey (or the original British Show of the same name)? It’s an improvisational comedy show where the cast go through comedic acting exercises with some help from the audience including suggestions and a little participation. The object of each exercise or “game” is to put the actors on the spot and provide entertainment for the audience.

And that’s what the Mirth-o-matics do. They entertained this viewer for a solid two hours or so with a number of games that saw the actors scrambling to fill a variety of roles, shoe-horn dialogue chosen by the audience, alphabetized stories, and bringing a sense of order to the mayhem of largely unrehearsed suggestions from an unpredictable audience. The Troupes director led many of the games and also participated in a number of the games himself while constantly engaging with, and informing, the audience.

The Mirth-O-Matics perform throughout Monterey County and are likely to return to Paper Wing Theatre before too long, so I highly recommend checking out the show and watching these folk perform. It’s a treat and definitely something different.

No comments:

Post a Comment