Thursday, October 30, 2014

Why living near the Monterey Peninsula is so awesome...

I can’t begin to explain how unbelievably lucky and unbelievably overwhelmed I am by the Halloween season here in Monterey County. I like to write about all the things I do and I like to promote them as much as possible, but I can’t be everywhere or do everything and I’m stretched thin enough as it is despite my girth. But, really, the Halloween season is just the beginning and as I’m perusing our local “alternative newspaper” for events and things to do I am absolutely astounded by the opportunities present. You’ve all had a chance to read my thoughts regarding Belladonna’s Mysterious House of Mysteries and The Rocky Horror Show, respectively- but now I find myself wishing I were made of money to support all the local performers- as it is, I’m only made of words and I’m sort of going to have to share some info in hopes that my name carries enough weight to lead a few stragglers through a few doors here and there.

1.      Dracula: I want to see this show SO bad! I love Dracula- I love the horror, the not-so-subtle allegories to be found in the story, the dramatic flair of our villain, the assurance of Professor Van Hellsing- I’ve seen faithful and not so faithful adaptations and I’ve been thrilled and amazed with both. So I’m hoping to catch this show before it’s far too late. The show’s only playing for a short time so catch it before it’s too late!

2.      Harvey: And on the opposite side of the spectrum, we have the Western Stage production of Harvey. There are already big tears in my eyes every time I even think of this story- the Jimmy Stewart movie is one of my all-time favorites and is a story I absolutely love and identify with on so many levels.

3.      Castle of the Dead: This isn’t a stage production, but is rather a Haunted Attraction where the proceeds benefit the Sun STREET Center in Salinas. It’s a fun little scare-trip. You walk in, the actors perform in each room with a specific thematic element- vampires, a visit to the barber, some delicacies for sale, and on through a twisting maze of horror.

4.      Remo D.’s Manor of Mayhem’s Halloween Episode: He’s been on the Peninsula for over ten years where he’s shown the best in horror, sci-fi, and creature features. He’s broadcast on channel 24, the local access channel, and he’s sure to have a surprise or two in store for this production!

5.      Puppet Up Company’s Puppet-making and Cos-play class: Fresh on the heels of a successful latex mask class, Ricki Vincent sets up shop at the Paper Wing Fremont location for his next class in theatrical designs. There’s a sign-up and cost for materials, but the skills attained are an invaluable asset to any theatrical company.

No comments:

Post a Comment